b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] hell

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "B. M. Rocine" <brocine AT twcny.rr.com>
  • To: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] hell
  • Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2006 13:18:20 -0500

Forwarded on behalf of Rodney Duke:

Dear Colleagues,

I am writing in response to Rolf Furuli, who said:

In Hebrew thought the NP$ dies and and go down to $)WL, to the grave,
where there is no life. So any "afterlife" in the sense that man
continues to live after the body dies, is not found in the Tanakh
(including Daniel).

I lean toward the conclusion that in Hebrew thought there WAS a belief in life after bodily death, based on such passages as: Psalm 73:23-28, Psalm 49:15-16 (H), and Proverbs 12:28. I agree with those who have said that there is no emphasis on afterlife in the Hebrew Bible, which is somewhat true of the NT as well. The concept appears to be that walking with God in the present results in a lasting life, because of God's faithfulness, as opposed to the notion that one dies, goes to heaven, and begins eternal life as a kind of reward.

blessings,
Rodney

Dr. Rodney K. Duke
Dept. of Phil. & Rel., Appalachian State Univ., Boone, NC 28608
(O) 828-262-3091, (FAX) 828-262-6619, dukerk AT appstate.edu