b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] hell

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Rolf Furuli <furuli AT online.no>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] hell
  • Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2006 16:01:50 +0100

Dear Mark,

It is not the duty of the linguist or the philologian to decide from whom prophecies come. However, the prophecy you refer to came true only in part. The Israelites suffered a terrible defeat and Saul and his three sons died, but Saul's son Ishboshet did not die. So, if the prophecy came from Samuel, he was partly wrong.

Best regards,

Rolf Furuli
University of Oslo

David Mark wrote:

But the author of 1 Samuel 28 clearly intends the reader to believe that Samuel's prediction of the outcome of the coming battle is an authoritative prophetic prediction. If Samuel was not the prophet making that prediction who was?