b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] hell

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Uri Hurwitz <uhurwitz AT yahoo.com>
  • To: "b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] hell
  • Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2006 19:47:08 -0800 (PST)

Dear Rolf,

You wrote, inter alia:

---------------------------------

....."In Hebrew thought the NP$ dies and and go down to $)WL, to the grave,

where there is no life. So any "afterlife" in the sense that man

continues to live after the body dies, is not found in the Tanakh

(including Daniel)."....

How do you interpret the bringing forth of the dead Samuel through the
witch of Ein
Dor in I Samuel 28? Here it appears that lady managed to raise the late
prophet both
in body and in mind.

While this is rather rare in the HB, it seems to indicate belief in
survival in the after-
life.

Best,

Uri