b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] hell

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] hell
  • Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2006 12:22:20 -0500

Peter:

You're right for jumping all over me for a poor
choice of words. What I meant was not "important",
but "relevant".

Further, I used the New Testament only as an
illustration that it follows the same pattern as
Tanakh, namely not to dwell on the afterlife.

After all, eating and drinking are important, but
not relevant in a discussion of Hebrew philology.
Likewise a discussion of the details of the
afterlife is not relevant to a discussion of how to
live to be worthy in the present life. That's why
neither Tanakh nor the New Testament have much to
say on the afterlife.

Karl W. Randolph.