b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Daniel

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Dave Washburn <dwashbur AT nyx.net>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Daniel
  • Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2006 08:12:30 -0700

On Thursday 16 March 2006 00:53, Yigal Levin wrote:
> [...]

Actually, the text tells us what they had in common. For Ezekiel, what they
have in common is a reputation for righteousness, nothing more. Anything
beyond that is more interpolation. For this particular context, it doesn't
matter whether they were Gentiles or how far in the distant past they lived.
The point is HOW they lived, period. So I don't think your argument stands.

I agree that the matter of Daniel's age vis a vis Ezekiel presents a problem,
but it's been a long time since I paid much attention to Ezekiel, so I'll
have to look into that further before I can really say much more about it.
At the moment I would be relying on the seriously faulty LTMLV.

> And of course, you are ignoring the very good evidence, that the book of
> Daniel is a much later (yes, Hellenistic) composition in any case. I won't
> repeat the evidence - I'm sure that you're familiar with it. If not, read
> any good introduction.

I'm familiar with it. I just don't buy it, for several good reasons that
other introductions have set forth. This is clearly a case of "you pays your
money and you takes your pick." You choose one, I choose the other. That's
one of the true beauties of this field.

--
Dave Washburn
http://www.nyx.net/~dwashbur