b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Daniel

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Dave Washburn <dwashbur AT nyx.net>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Daniel
  • Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2006 13:58:41 -0700

Yes. Daniel places his deportation in the third year of Jehoiakim, which
means that Jehoiakim was on the throne for another 8 years after that (2
Kings 23:36). At the beginning of chapter 2, he places Nebuchadnezzar's
dream in that king's second year, which actually seems to put the dream
before Daniel's deportation. So it would appear that his problem was already
in place - and his magicians etc. in deep trouble - at the time of Daniel's
arrival and acclimation as described in Daniel 1.

Ezekiel, OTOH, says his first vision came in the fifth year of Jehoiachin's
captivity. Jehoiachin came after Jehoiakim and was deported after just 3
months. So if we have 8 years between Daniel's deportation and Jehoiachin's
accession, and another 5 years or so between Jehoiachin's exile and the
beginning of Ezekiel's prophetic ministry, that's 13 years, more than enough
time for Daniel's reputation to be established, particularly if we consider
the events ascribed to him. Word of a man (youth) not just interpreting a
dream but *telling* it first, then his friends surviving being thrown into a
furnace, further dream interpretation, etc. etc. etc. would get around fast,
especially in a place like Babylon.

This, plus the absence of any qualification that the three men mentioned were
"ancients" or even from the distant past, suggests that the simplest, most
Occam-ish answer is that Ezekiel was talking about his contemporary, Daniel.
Speculating about an ancient legendary hero a la Ugarit appears to introduce
an unnecessary complication into the mix.