b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] NWT's approach of consistent translation

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Awohili AT aol.com
  • To: schmuel AT nyc.rr.com, b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc: Awohili AT aol.com
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] NWT's approach of consistent translation
  • Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2005 20:29:00 EST

Which "grammatical rule" is that, Steve? In the NWT Reference Bible's
appendix 1D, it is stated that use of the Tetragram in their NT is determined
by
(a) "where the inspired Christian writers have quoted verses, passages, or
expressions from the Hebrew Scriptures [and] whether the divine name appears
there," and (b) whether there is "agreement from the Hebrew [New Testament
translations] to confirm our rendering." As for 1 Corinthians 7:17, the
appendix
states that "context and related texts strongly support rendering the divine
name [there]." No appeal is made to any "grammatical rule."

As for 1 Corinthians 12:3 -- I presume you mean in a Hebrew version of the
New Testament -- "haAdohn" (the Lord) is not used in the older Delitzsch
Hebrew
version, merely "adohn (Lord)." The UBS Hebrew version does use "haAdohn,"
but that is their judgment call, since the Greek text of 1 Corinthians 12:3
does not use the definite article here (i.e., not hO KURIOS, "the Lord"),
but
merely has KURIOS ("Lord")..

Therefore, the older Delitzsch Hebrew translation is closer to the Greek
text, and there was no textual reason, in either Greek or putative Hebrew, to

render 1 Corinthians 12:3 to read "Jesus is Jehovah."

Solomon Landers

In a message dated 11/20/2005 2:16:39 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,