b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] NWT's approach of consistent translation

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Read, James C" <K0434995 AT kingston.ac.uk>
  • To: "Peter Kirk" <peter AT qaya.org>, "b-hebrew-lists.ibiblio.org" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] NWT's approach of consistent translation
  • Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2005 23:23:23 -0000

Thank you for a balanced and well thought out response Peter. I also take
objection
to the translation of the word 'kurios' whose major usage was as a sign of
courtesy
much in the same way we would use 'sir' and 'Mr.'. It is clear that Jesus is
divine
according to the NT presentation of him and just to be clear I would never
argue
against that.

Also to make myself totally clear I do not hold either the NWT or any other
translation
to be the perfect translation otherwise why would I put so my time and effort
into my
translation machine. My defense of the NWT translation in this regard is not
motivated
by any feelings of loyalty to any particular organistaion but by the logical
conclusion
that Jesus would not have been victim to the doctrines and men and would be
the one
person in all the world who was holy enough to use his Father's name without
retribution. I therefore find the assertion that he did not use it to be
absolutely
preposterous and if he hadn't used that would automatically disqualify him
from being
the true messiah in my mind.

Therefore, where the NT quotes directly from the OT where the name stands it
is indisputable
that yhwh has its rightful place in these occurences. The other places are of
course
debatable and this point I concede as graciously as I possibly can given the
circumstaces.

I didn't think it was you Peter and I would never call you a hypocrite and
your posts
are always amongst the most enjoyable as they always show your objective
spirit and how
well thought out they are (not like my off the cuff instinctual posts).

@Schmuel. Sorry if I misportrayed you. I really thought it was you who had
said it.
I should have checked before writing. Getting back to OT discussion what are
your
opinions of consistent translation with regard to words such as nephesh and
sheol?