b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] NWT's approach of consistent translation

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peter AT qaya.org>
  • To: Rolf Furuli <furuli AT online.no>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] NWT's approach of consistent translation
  • Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2005 12:18:04 +0000

On 18/11/2005 08:48, Rolf Furuli wrote:

According to the foreword of the NWT New Testament from 1950 three factors were behind the choice of Jehovah in cases where NT manuscripts from the second century C.E. and forward have KURIOS, 1) quotes from the OT, 2) New Testaments in Hebrew using Jehovah, and 3) the context. In *all* cases where Jehovah is found in the NWT New Testament one or more of these factors are behind the choice. Theology *must* be an important factor in Bible translation. We cannot translate a text we do not understand, and a part, often a great part of this understanding is theology. One can disagree with the theology of the NWT translators, but to claim that they are inconsistent to their own translation principles in their choices of Jehovah in the NT is false witness.

I agree that "Theology *must* be an important factor in Bible translation". But, Rolf, you also wrote of translators of idiomatic versions:

Such translators interpret the text to a much greater extent than those who
make the literal translation, and much more theology is introduced in such a
translation

In the light of "Theology *must* be an important factor in Bible translation", is this a criticism? But I know of no idiomatic translations which have introduced theology to the extent of using it to determine whether KURIOS should be translated as a divine title. So I wonder the translation which introduces "much more theology" is in fact NWT.

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)