b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] NWT's approach of consistent translation

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Schmuel <schmuel AT nyc.rr.com>
  • To: "b-hebrew-lists.ibiblio.org" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] NWT's approach of consistent translation
  • Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2005 16:48:06 -0500

Hi Folks,

James Read wrote:
>Why were so many NT scrolls burned when constantine came to adopt
>Christianity?

Schmuel
Evidence please (and please not the phoney Eberhard Nestle quote).

James Read
>Did these burned scrolls contain the divine name?

Schmuel

Much of Christendom was completely outside of Roman purview anyway at that
time. Please study a bit of geo-history.

Any theory of sacred name suppression in the NT text would have to be much
earlier than this, because of the wide dispersion of multilanguage texts to
Africa,
to the east, to the west, in Latin and Aramaic as well as Greek.

This is a good example of the type of absurdity we are up against, as we also
have
lots of early church writers from 100 A.D. to 325 A.D. who would have simply
missed
the Hebrew Tetragrammaton in the midst of their Greek and Latin Bibles !

I love conspiracy theories, but some are simply too absurd even for me.
This one is about as substantive as the "lunar sabbath" being changed
in the same conspiracy.

James Read
>While the other places the NWT have translated yhwh are debatable it is
>clear that
>those places which quote the OT *MUST* have it otherwise the quotations
>would be
>false and this would portray the authors of the gospels as liars.

Schmuel
This makes no sense at all.

By that "logic", all the gospel authors are liars because of the liberty taken
in quoting the Tanach verses. I truly hope that is not your view.

Shalom Shabbat,
Steven Avery
Queens, NY