b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] NWT's approach of consistent translation

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Schmuel <schmuel AT nyc.rr.com>
  • To: "b-hebrew-lists.ibiblio.org" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] NWT's approach of consistent translation
  • Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2005 06:33:03 -0500

Hi b-hebrew,

Rolf Furuli wrote:
>The two posts of Schmuel regarding the NWT and the New Testament are outside
>the scope of this list.

Schmuel
That is for the list moderator to determine. We are talking about using a
possible
Biblical Hebrew insertion in the original Greek text (ergo potential biblical
hebrew)
and this Hebrew being somehow in the New Testament text line.

Also a claim was made about the NWT or the NIV being consistent in
translation.
My comments have shown that the whole concept was incorrect vis a vis the NWT.

If my comments are off-topic, then the claim of NWT consistency should be
off-topic.
In fact I am discussing the aspect of the claim that is closest to the
biblical hebrew
focus of the list.

Rolf
>... when a claim that is outright false is made, it is the duty of one
>having a knowledge to speak up.

Schmuel
True, but my claim was clearly true.

Rolf
>...three factors ... 1) quotes from the OT, 2) New Testaments in Hebrew
>using Jehovah, and 3) the context. In *all* cases where Jehovah is found in
>the NWT New Testament one or more of these factors are behind the choice.
>Theology *must* be an important factor in Bible translation.

Schmuel
Essentially you are conceding my point.

First, let's be clear,

(1) is understood, but not relevant to the great majority of verses. I
believe it is an error
to place Jehovah in those verses, since it is not in the underlying Greek
text, but at least
that translation has a textual (Tanach-->NT) base in some dozens of cases.

(2) is essentially irrelevant, as what difference does 1500-1900
Greek-to-Hebrew
translator's decision have to do with the essentially impossible JW
conjectures
about the original written-in-Greek autographs .. there is no significance
there at all.
Even if these late Greek-to-Hebrew translations support the selectivity of
the NWT
(doubtful) it simply has no relevance, as it is apples and oranges.

Then we go to the critical one (3).
"Context"

"Context" in Jehovah Witness theology means that the idea that Jehovah
manifest
as the Lord Jesus Christ is not acceptable. Therefore, yes, that is the
determining
factor in not putting Jehovah into those types of verses that I indicate
below, while
inserting 'Jehovah' into those verses that are unharmful to their Christology.

Grammatically and linguistically there is simply no way to consider the
selection
omissions as guided by anything other than Jehovah Witness doctrine, masked
as "context".

In terms of the Greek language text the Jehovah translation decisions are
inconsistent.

In terms of matching the Jehovah Witness doctrine, you could say they are
consistent,
with that I will agree, in that they are a deliberately consistent
translation tampering.

Shalom,
Steven Avery
Queens, NY

PS
It is good to also truly consider the modern JW theories of how
a) multiple authors in
b) multiple books transmitted their text early, in
c) multiple languages of early translation

. They are supposed to have inserted the Hebrew Tetragrammaton (or some
unknown
equivalent) into an original work Greek text, something unseen and unknown in
all
textual history, Jewish or Christian. (This is not the same as
Hebrew-->Greek translation
decisions, we are talking here about original Greek language writing).

This is supposed to have occurred without a trace of this being found or
mentioned historically.

And then there is conjectured a massive redaction of each and every
occurrence in each and
every book to bring them back to Greek (and perhaps Latin and Aramaic) as we
have them today.

And this was done without any reference in any writings by the early
church writers,
and in addition this was a massive textual redaction done over a wide range
of books,
authors and languages -- and yet this massive translation tampering in the
first centuries
was somehow done 100% consistently, and without a trace.

When you really consider what is being alleged, it truly takes on an
Alice-in-Wonderland
type of nature.

It also means that the New Testament was corrupt for about 1800 years, and
that the
only true New Testament even today has no textual witness whatsoever in the
original
language.

Rolf,
>We cannot translate a text we do not understand, and a part, often a great
>part of this understanding is theology. One can disagree with the theology
>of the NWT translators, but to claim that they are inconsistent to their own
>translation principles in their choices of Jehovah in the NT is false
>witness.

Schmuel