b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Limitations of etymology

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Dave Washburn <dwashbur AT nyx.net>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Limitations of etymology
  • Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2005 11:23:30 -0700

On Friday 18 November 2005 10:58, Read, James C wrote:
> Recently we have extensively discussed concepts such as 'core' meaning
> and etymological evidences of that core meaning. We have gone through
> the various uses of olam and discussed it range of meanings and
> evidence has been brought in from its etymology. This made me thikn of
> a parallel example in English.
>
> Infinite
>
> 'Infinite' comes from 'finite' which means a clearly defined amount.
> 'Infinite' is the semantic opposite of 'finite' and etymologically should
> mean 'an undefined amount'. But is that its 'core' meaning???
>
> Consider the following examples:
>
> There is an infinite number of ways of doing it
> To infinity and beyond
>
> It is clear from these examples that while the etymology points us in the
> direction of 'undefined amount' the 'core' meaning is quite different,
> although related. [snip]

I would tentatively submit that these are not good examples. The first is
(usually) a deliberate hyperbole, which we have to take into account. The
second actually comes from a children's comedy movie and is intended to sound
impressive while essentially conveying nothing; that's part of the humor of
it. So in a sense, both of these instances are more likely deliberate
MISuses of the term, and therefore aren't good candidates for telling us much
about any "core" meaning (assuming there is such a thing).

--
Dave Washburn
http://www.nyx.net/~dwashbur