b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] etymology

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Dr. Joel M. Hoffman" <joel AT exc.com>
  • To: peter AT qaya.org
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] etymology
  • Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2005 19:30:28 -0500 (EST)

>>One example I often use in discussing etymology is the English word
>>"patently." By definition, a "patent" must be non-obvious.
>>
>On the contrary, Joel. The original meaning of "patent" is "Obvious;
>[...]

That's interesting, and it reinforces my point. If "patent"
originally meant "obvious," that etymological bit of knowledge helps
not at all in deducing that in the US today, a "patent" is awarded
only for something that's not obvious.

Really, don't we all agree here that etymology doesn't tell you what a
word means?

-Joel M. Hoffman
http://www.exc.com/JoelHoffman