b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Babylonian pointing

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • To: yitzhaksapir AT gmail.com
  • Cc: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Babylonian pointing
  • Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 01:08:44 +0100

On 13/09/2005 23:31, Yitzhak Sapir wrote:

On 9/13/05, Ken Penner wrote:

Does anyone know if the Babylonian vowel marks been proposed or approved for the Unicode standard?

I looked it up some more. Apparently, it has been proposed:
http://lashonkodesh.org/bavelpro.pdf
but is not accepted yet. See these minutes on the unicode website:
http://www.unicode.org/consortium/utc-minutes/UTC-100-200408.html#100-A20

In fact Elaine Keown's proposal is rather preliminary and may need a lot more work. I'm not sure if Elaine is working on this any more. If not, it is unlikely to proceed. If anyone is interested in progressing this work, they should contact Elaine. Ask me offlist for her e-mail.

The most convincing of a number of reasons why the different pointing systems need separate Unicode code points is that each combining mark is associated with a particular position relative to the base character, and the system would get very confused if the position of the mark changed with a font change. Also there are texts with both sets of pointing, I understand.

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)