b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] XSD

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] XSD
  • Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2005 21:25:48 -0500

Bill:

What I present now is a maturing of ideas I got, at least
in embroyonic form, while yet a teenager. At 19, Hebrew was
the fifth foreign language I studied and by that time I had
developed certain ideas as to how to learn foreign languages.
After learning basic grammar, start filling it in with
vocabulary.

First, the hardest part of learning a language is learning
vocabulary. If one wants to be able to speak a language
fluently, he needs to learn the vocabulary with its
ideosyncrecies as a native speaker would, not as terms are
described in dictionaries. It was from learning modern
languages such as German that I developed the concept that
each lexeme has one basic meaning, the meanings for some
lexemes are quite broad, those for others quite narrow. Of
course, like any other social science, there are exceptions,
they tend to be few enough not to upset the apple cart,
fewer than the lists of irregular verbs.

Second, connected with the first, learn vocabulary rules
as to how lexemes interact with other lexemes within the
language being studied, not how to translate them to
English. That way, when I try to speak the language, I
will be reacting in the same way as a native speaker would,
not as one who is translating from English.

I found that these two rules were consistant across all
languages I studied.

Then I studied Hebrew. The dictionaries widely available
and in use at that time were BDB and an English translation
of Gesenius. Immediately I started trying to reconcile
these dictionaries with the rules I had learned for
studying other languages, as I figured that Biblical Hebrew
followed the same basic rules that all other spoken
languages follow. I also got Davidson's analytical lexicon
which, by listing all derivitives under their roots,
really helped me learn to recognize how lexemes are formed
from their roots in Biblical Hebrew. The notes in the
margins that later became my dictionary started when I was
a first year student of the language, when at the time and
for years following, they were there merely to help me
understand the language. I also just read, read and read
some more in Tanakh.

To show how much I read, I had two copies of Qoren Tanakh
fall apart from use, my copy of Davidson's lexicon was
history long ago, as well as my copy of Gessenius. I
rebound my copy of Lisowski's concordance and for the last
several years have been reading on computers where pages
falling out are not a problem.

While you see a matured work in what I write now, they are
based on ideas I already had by the time I was 19 years old.

Karl W. Randolph.