b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] XSD

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Bill Rea <bsr15 AT cantsl.it.canterbury.ac.nz>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] XSD
  • Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2005 10:24:10 +1200 (NZST)

Sujata wrote:-

>I don't see any reason why any new idea (backed by evidence and/or logic)
>needs to be suffocated for lack of credentials, when many "theories" and
>"hypotheses" are being proposed by "scholars" which are just that -
>theories and hypotheses with no proof!.

The system which is in place works remarkably well. Sure, it's
not perfect and people can always find things that went wrong.
But if you had to design a system from scratch and you had to
use people to make decisions about what gets published in the
research journals and what gets excluded, I think you'd arrive
at a system of peer-review almost identical to what we have now.

Karl wrote:-

>What I present now is a maturing of ideas I got, at least
>in embroyonic form, while yet a teenager. At 19, Hebrew was
>the fifth foreign language I studied and by that time I had
>developed certain ideas as to how to learn foreign languages.
>After learning basic grammar, start filling it in with
>vocabulary.

Perhaps you ought to sit back and ask yourself why people find
your ideas so unconvincing. I don't know your current age but
if you've been advancing this idea of one lexeme having one
meaning for most of your adult life, you have failed to convince
most people, including me. I suggest the reason is that the
evidence does not back your assertions. Often what you have
advanced over the past several years appears to me to be very
contorted logic to press words into your idea that they have
only a single meaning. Occam's razor suggests words, or lexemes
if you prefer, commonly have multiple meanings.

Quite recently you rejected RGLM as being a euphemism for
genitals. Have a look at 2 Sam 11:8 in context. Sure you
can say that this just means David wants Uriah to literally
wash his feet. But it makes a lot more sense if means to have
sex as in -- Then David said to Uriah, "Go down to your house,
and [wink, wink, nudge, nudge] wash your feet."

Bill Rea, IT Services, University of Canterbury \_
E-Mail bill.rea AT canterbury.ac.nz </ New
Phone 64-3-364-2331, Fax 64-3-364-2332 /) Zealand
Unix Systems Administrator (/'