b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] XSD

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] XSD
  • Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2005 16:29:21 -0500

Peter:

Whoever put this list together, has made a lot of
questionable calls. While I have not looked at every verse,
close to half that I have spot checked do not say what he
claims.

For example, Leviticus 9:22, the lifting up the hand and
the blessing are listed separately, the lifting up the hand
is not in and of itself giving the blessing.

In Jeremiah 6:1, what is it that is lifted up? Is it a
portion of food as in Genesis 43:34, plume of smoke Judges
20:38, 40, pack with basic living things Jeremiah 40:6,
burden Job 31:23, or possibly even a war banner? The context
isn't clear though it does rule out a portion of food.
Basically its says lift up that which is to be lifted up.

Because Hebrew didn't have separate words for wife, to
marry, husband, (at least none listed in Tanakh) those uses
listed with marriage are simply an alternate way of saying
them. They are idiomatic phrases only in relation to English.

Of those listed as to swear, for not one of them is it clear,
and even a couple look as they would be more accurately
translated as attacking, not swearing. But raising up one's
hand for action comes through in those verses.

The raised hand and outstreached arm were common ways to
indicate being at war, and that is continued in the verses
below. To attack is part of being at war, so shouldn't be
listed separately.

You are right, compound lexemes and idiomatic phrases are
very close together, and sometimes hard to tell apart.

Karl W. Randolph.