b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] XSD

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: George F Somsel <gfsomsel AT juno.com>
  • To: kwrandolph AT email.com
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] XSD
  • Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2005 07:02:50 -0400

On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 21:25:48 -0500 "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
writes:
> Bill:
>
> What I present now is a maturing of ideas I got, at least
> in embroyonic form, while yet a teenager. At 19, Hebrew was
> the fifth foreign language I studied and by that time I had
> developed certain ideas as to how to learn foreign languages.
> After learning basic grammar, start filling it in with
> vocabulary.
>
> First, the hardest part of learning a language is learning
> vocabulary. If one wants to be able to speak a language
> fluently, he needs to learn the vocabulary with its
> ideosyncrecies as a native speaker would, not as terms are
> described in dictionaries. It was from learning modern
> languages such as German that I developed the concept that
> each lexeme has one basic meaning, the meanings for some
> lexemes are quite broad, those for others quite narrow. Of
> course, like any other social science, there are exceptions,
> they tend to be few enough not to upset the apple cart,
> fewer than the lists of irregular verbs.
>
> To show how much I read, I had two copies of Qoren Tanakh
> fall apart from use, my copy of Davidson's lexicon was
> history long ago, as well as my copy of Gessenius. I
> rebound my copy of Lisowski's concordance and for the last
> several years have been reading on computers where pages
> falling out are not a problem.
>
> While you see a matured work in what I write now, they are
> based on ideas I already had by the time I was 19 years old.
>
> Karl W. Randolph.
____________

Karl,

I would say that you need to relearn languages. I know a few myself and
I would say that your concept of one lexeme, one meaning is definitely
wrong.

Much reading does not indicate much understanding. I remember puzzling
over the beginning of Kierkegaard's "Fear and Trembling" in college. I
would repeat the paragraph over and over and would still not comprehend.
Get yourself a good lexicon and use it.

george
gfsomsel