b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] XSD

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • To: Karl Randolph <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] XSD
  • Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2005 12:58:24 +0100

On 29/08/2005 06:32, Karl Randolph wrote:

Occam’s razor says that the simplest answer is usually the correct one, not that lexemes have multiple meanings. As it is, the simplest answer is that each word, or lexeme, has one meaning, hence Occam’s razor would favor my working hypothesis.

I have not advanced the theory before this recent discussion, merely used the results in previous discussions. It is interesting that when I reported the results in previous discussions, it was rare for anyone to question how I came to the results that I had. The questions were fewer than the fingers on one hand.

Karl, we have had extensive discussions on this list before in which you have repeatedly insisted on your rejection of the basic principles of modern lexicography, and among more specific points your rejection of evidence from cognate languages which sometimes proves that there are multiple Hebrew roots with the same form. (A clear exmple of this proof is that there are two roots ayin-resh-bet, one meaning "evening" or "west" as in Arabic maghreb "the West, North Africa", and another meaning "nomad" as in Arabic `arab "Arab" - whereas presumably your method would imply that Hebrew `erev "evening" and `arav "nomad, Arab" have the same origin.) You have certainly had far more than five exchanges on this issue with me alone.

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)