b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] XSD

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] XSD
  • Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2005 00:32:29 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bill Rea" <bsr15 AT cantsl.it.canterbury.ac.nz>

> Karl wrote:-
>
> > What I present now is a maturing of ideas I got, at least
> > in embroyonic form, while yet a teenager. At 19, Hebrew was
> > the fifth foreign language I studied and by that time I had
> > developed certain ideas as to how to learn foreign languages.
> > After learning basic grammar, start filling it in with
> > vocabulary.
>
> Perhaps you ought to sit back and ask yourself why people find
> your ideas so unconvincing. I don't know your current age but
> if you've been advancing this idea of one lexeme having one
> meaning for most of your adult life, you have failed to convince
> most people, including me. I suggest the reason is that the
> evidence does not back your assertions. Often what you have
> advanced over the past several years appears to me to be very
> contorted logic to press words into your idea that they have
> only a single meaning. Occam's razor suggests words, or lexemes
> if you prefer, commonly have multiple meanings.

Occam’s razor says that the simplest answer is usually the correct one, not
that
lexemes have multiple meanings. As it is, the simplest answer is that each
word,
or lexeme, has one meaning, hence Occam’s razor would favor my working
hypothesis.

I have not advanced the theory before this recent discussion, merely used the
results
in previous discussions. It is interesting that when I reported the results
in previous
discussions, it was rare for anyone to question how I came to the results
that I had.
The questions were fewer than the fingers on one hand.

I think you are confusing use of a term within a language, verses how that
same term
may be translated into another language. Part of recognizing the definition
of a word
is to know in which contexts it is to be used. So a word can have one meaning
that is
consistant within a language, but because some of the contexts use a
different term in
a different language, a translator would use more than one term to translate
the lexeme
in the original language. Use of different terms in translation does not
negate that each
lexeme (with a few exceptions) has one meaning within its language.

> Quite recently you rejected RGLM as being a euphemism for
> genitals. Have a look at 2 Sam 11:8 in context. Sure you
> can say that this just means David wants Uriah to literally
> wash his feet. But it makes a lot more sense if means to have
> sex as in -- Then David said to Uriah, "Go down to your house,
> and [wink, wink, nudge, nudge] wash your feet."

Again, one of my favorite commands, "Look at the context." Uriah had just
spent
time out in the field, just traveled from the encampment to Jerusalem, and
was
therefore dirty, sweaty, even stinky. By far the dirtiest part of him was his
feet,
shod only in sandals, exposed to the dust of the camp and road. So what David
commanded was for Uriah to go home and wash up, to feel presentable. The
modern equivalent would be "go home and take a shower". What David wanted
was that Uriah would not stop at a shower, rather take advantage of some of
the
other comforts of his house, however, under the cercumstances, he couldn't
_say_
that as that would raise suspicians in an area where David did not want
suspicians
to be raised. So he merely said that Uriah go home and wash up. The mistake
that
is being done here is to claim that the words expressed the hidden desires of
David's heart whereas I understand that David purposely stopped short of
expressing what he wanted Uriah to do so as to avoid raising suspician.

> Bill Rea, IT Services, University of Canterbury \_
> E-Mail bill.rea AT canterbury.ac.nz </ New
> Phone 64-3-364-2331, Fax 64-3-364-2332 /) Zealand
> Unix Systems Administrator (/'

Sign-up for Ads Free at Mail.com
http://promo.mail.com/adsfreejump.htm