b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] XSD

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] XSD
  • Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2005 02:49:50 -0500

Dear Harold:

I am not going to argue with you.

First of all, I come from an academic family. At least
two of my great-grandparents had masters degrees,
all four of my grandparents graduated from college
programs, one was a professor, both my parents have
PhDs and have taught at universities, and you expect
me to be awed by "experts"? C'mon!

Basically, we differ on methodology, and until we can
come to a consensus on that, we will never come to a
consensus on the other issues that divide us. You
believe the scholarly consensus is infallible; I see it,
like any other human endeavor, often taking wrong
turns. You claim that an interpretation that is old, it
is right just because it is old; I counter that even
traditions can be in error. While you base your
studies on scholars and traditions, I base mine on
methodology. One part of the methodology is that it is
very rare for a lexeme to have two or more distinctly
different definitions. Another part is to use an
unpointed text. Another is where there are synonyms
and antonyms recognized, that comparisons with these
can help. And there are others.

Karl W. Randolph.