b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] XSD

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] XSD
  • Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2005 11:50:32 -0500

Peter:

I think you are confusing idiomatic phrase with compound
lexeme. In the English example of "strike out" one has a
meaning one would never guess from just the meanings of the
individual lexemes that make up the compound lexeme. Other
compound lexemes are not so obscure, but still share the
property of having a definition that is distinct from
either word taken seperately. On the other hand, BYT )B in
Hebrew can readily be understood even never having seen the
term before, when one recognizes that BYT refers not only to
a physical house, but also to a family and )B to ancesters.
Neither term is used in a way that is unique to this
combination. That's equivelant to my pointing to a cousin
and saying "He's family". The same is true with tribe of my
ancestors M+H )BWT.

Similarly ML) YD looks like an idiomatic phrase referring to
filling one's hands with the tools of his trade. I do not
see it meaning "to ordain" as I see it as a continual action.

One of my disagreements with Reinier de Blois' methodology
is that he views each context as being unique, whereas I try
to look at lexemes wholistically.