b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] XSD

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] XSD
  • Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2005 13:23:43 -0500

Bill:

This is a methodology that has been called "incestuous" in
the way it can suppress unpopular theories. All the
scholars feed on each other, read the same journals, so
that when someone advances a new idea, even with evidence
supporting it, it is often rejected out of hand because it
contradicts what is expected. This is not a conspiracy for
the purpose of suppression, just a knee jerk reaction among
a too ingrown field of study.

Another reaction is merely to brush off a theory because
the person who advances it has not "paid his dues" in
having gotten his PhD and/or holds to a minority
ideological position. In such cases, the rejection is
personal, not according to data. Yet it happens all the
time even within this system.

Already, when I was in college longer ago than I care to
admit, it was a common belief that most significant new
discoveries were made by new comers to a field: either
those who were just graduating and/or transferring from
another field.

An example of the above is the dating of Egyptian pharaohs
which was thoroughly hashed out on this forum a while back;
the "scholarly consensus" is that Raamses II lived about
1200 BC while some scholarly mavericks now put him about
900 BC. Many traditional scholars simply sniffed and didn't
even look at the data. Others argue that their results are
correct because of .... I merely sat back and watched the
argument.

Concerning the rules for recognizing "jumk science", a lot
of junk science is published even after "peer review",
because some big name scientist proposes it, while true,
careful science is rejected for reasons above.

Karl W. Randolph.