b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Tenses and aspects; was: footnotes

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "B. M. Rocine" <brocine AT twcny.rr.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Tenses and aspects; was: footnotes
  • Date: Mon, 08 Aug 2005 06:07:51 -0400

Hi Rolf,

A minor detail:

Rolf Furuli wrote:
There can be no
doubt that the first YIQTOL of 3) has past reference, and the second has future reference even though the conjugation is the same. This is fixed by the context. The first YIQTOL is preceded by a relative particle, and the second is sentence initial. The second YIQTOL is an example of a sentence initial YIQTOL that is not modal. I have not tried to make the aspects visible for the English reader, only the temporal references of the verbs.

1) "And he spoke (WAYYIQTOL) to her.: `Because I spoke (YIQTOL) to Naboth the Jezreelite and said (WAYYIQTOL) to him...`" 1 Kings 21:6

2) "And Zebul said (WAYYIQTOL) to him:`Where is your big talk now, you who said (YIQTOL)..." Judg 9:38

3) "In the place where it was said (YIQTOL) to them, `You are not my people,` it will be said (YIQTOL) to them, `The sons of the living God`" Hosea 1:9 (10).

The second yiqtol in 3 is not clause-initial; IOW it is an X-yiqtol. The X is bimqom 'asher ye'amer lahem lo' `amiy 'atem.

Shalom,
Bryan

--
B. M. Rocine