b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Tenses and aspects; was: footnotes

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "B. M. Rocine" <brocine AT twcny.rr.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Tenses and aspects; was: footnotes
  • Date: Mon, 08 Aug 2005 07:43:10 -0400

Hi Rolf,

Nope. bimqom "in a place" belongs with your clause c.

Shalom,
Bryan

Rolf Furuli wrote:
Dear Bryan,

Now I realize that we use the concept clause-initial (I have used sentence-initial with the same meaning) very differently. For me a clause-initial verb is one that begins a clause with no element preceding. I use the term "clause" in the normal sense: "a syntagm that contains subject and verbal ( implicit or explicit verbal)". Basically I find that this definition accords with Masoretic pointing. Above )TM, the word before the YIQTOL we are discussing, we find a zaqef qaton, which is a strong accent. This marks the end of the previous clause, as I see it.

In 3) I find four clauses:

a) "In the place where it was said (YIQTOL) to them" verbal clause
b) "`You are not my people,`" nominal clause
c) "it will be said (YIQTOL) to them" verbal clause
d) "`The sons of the living God`" nominal clause with implicit "you are"

--
B. M. Rocine
Living Word Chruch