b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Inspiration

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Heard, Christopher" <Christopher.Heard AT pepperdine.edu>
  • To: Martin Arhelger <arhelger AT gmx.de>
  • Cc: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Inspiration
  • Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2005 23:06:47 -0700

Martin,

I think you're on the right track, though I would sound a gentle warning against taking this one statement, treating it as a "concept," and equating it with a much later full-blown "concept." I don't know whether you intended to do that, but your lead _could_ be followed in that direction.

Having said that, verses like this are exactly the sort of data you would need in order to start fleshing out how something like "inspiration" would be understood by the Tanakh's writers and readers. Of course, this verse applies very specifically to a very short text--the actual "words of God" here are 2 Sam 23:3b-4, framed by words attributed to David's composition in 23:2-3b and 5-7, and introduced by an editorial framework in 23:1 (notice that David is "David" in vv. 1, 8ff., but "me" in 2-3b, 5-7). This verse _as such_ (if believed) would speak directly only to the "inspiration" of the oracle itself, not to David's intro, the editorial frame, or the rest of the book of Samuel. Even so, I want to reiterate that Martin has pointed precisely to the sort of thing that would count as data toward Kevin's question--an explicit description of how a biblical writer describes a particular text (in this case, of course, originally an _oral_, not _written_, text, the oracle) coming to composition. There aren't a _lot_ of these kind of statements, especially outside the Latter Prophets, but they certainly do exist.