b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Inspiration

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Heard, Christopher" <Christopher.Heard AT pepperdine.edu>
  • To: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Inspiration
  • Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2005 21:31:12 -0700

Sujata,

I may have misunderstood, but I took Kevin's point this way: Kevin is asking about people's understandings of the concept of "inspiration" _during a particular time span_. He is interested in "pre-exilic Hebrew understandings" of the notion, if we have any data for that. Since the end of the "exile" is dated to c. 538 BCE (the "Edict of Cyrus," per Ezra 1), and since the New Testament letters to Timothy were definitely written no earlier than c. 50 CE (and probably at least a couple of decades later than that), Kevin is merely stating a historical fact to say that "[2 Timothy] was written 500+ years after the [Babylonian exile]." In that light, 2 Timothy sheds no light on what Kevin is asking about: "pre-exilic Hebrew understandings" of the concept of "inspiration." I don't believe that your harsh dismissal of his statement is warranted, since all he is trying to do is limit the historical scope of his inquiry.

Best wishes,

Chris