b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Inspiration

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Kevin Riley" <klriley AT alphalink.com.au>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Inspiration
  • Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2005 11:52:11 +1000 (AUS Eastern Standard Time)

A question raised by a recent [and now ended] discussion: is there any
clear evidence in the Hebrew scriptures or in Hebrew writings from *before*
the exile that give us a clear picture of how the ancient Hebrews perceived
inspiration [or whatever you want to call the process of God causing the
scriptures to be written]. It seems to be assumed that they viewed
inspiration in one of the ways we do, yet I wonder if we have any evidence
of that, and if so what it is? I don't want a reply that tells me what
inspiration is, or to start a discussion on which current view is correct -
just what actual original evidence we have for an ancient Hebrew
understanding of it.

Kevin Riley