b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Author of the torah

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Jim West <jwest AT highland.net>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Author of the torah
  • Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2005 17:39:54 -0400

Dave Washburn wrote:

And this is based on..............? Nothing, as far as I can see, except the oft-discredited DH idea and its various progeny. Perhaps it is you who are making the mistake of localizing the globalized. The fact is, you don't know. This is just the view you prefer.

It is the view, not that I prefer, but makes the most sense. It never ceases to amaze me the claims that are made for scripture which scripture does not make for itself. If you suspect that tradition is sufficient to establish truth then, in some quarters, tradition teaches that Moses wrote the King James Version of the bible and that is the version Jesus used too. But that is idiocy isnt it. And yet, it is a tradition believed and adhered to.

Appeal to tradition to establish truth is methodologically flawed. Moreover, it is shocking.

Jim

--
D. Jim West