b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] VERBS

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Rolf Furuli" <furuli AT online.no>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] VERBS
  • Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2005 23:18:17 +0100

Dear Peter,

We all naturally defend our own viewpoints. But it is fine if we are open for the possibility that even fundamental concepts can be interpreted differently from our own view. You have a background in the natural sciences, and then you started with Bible translation. You were introduced to one model, and you may perhaps today subscribe to a model different, or slightly different from the one you were introduced to.

Peter Newmark has worked with different models, and in his book he has a lucid discussion of several different models. His general conclusion is that the pendulum has svung too far when translators have discarded the word as an important translation unit. Newmark does not suggest that a word-for-word translation is the best model, but he shows there are methodological problems with the models of Nida (and Taber) and models which seem to be similar to those you cherish.

Newmark writes p. 68):

"The present excessive emphasis in linguistics on discourse analysis is resulting in the corresponding idea in translation theory that the only unit of translation is the text, and that almost any deviation from literal translation can be justified in any place by appealing to the text as an overriding authority. the prevailing orthodoxy is leading to the rejection of literal translation as a legitimate translation procedure."

Newmark then translates a French text of 75 words into English, where the text has 68 words, and writes: "I do not think the French translation could be improved on, although one or two variants in the `taste` area are always available. But about 90% of the three sentences are literally translated - which perhaps is exceptional, but not so surprising in this type of text. My thesis, however, is that literal translation is correct and must not be avoided, if it secures referential and pragmatic equivalence of the original."

As mentioned, Newmark does not say that a word-for-word translation is the best form of translation. But he says that a literal translation is a fine translation provided it meets particular criteria. And he says further that to abandon the word as the translation unit is a misunderstanding. You may disagree with his conclusions, but by saying that this is "nonsense" you elevate yourself as the highest translation authority. This does not recommend you as a balanced scholar.

Best regards

Rolf Furuli
University of Oslo

----- Original Message ----- From: "Peter Kirk" <peterkirk AT qaya.org>