b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] etymology opinion question for the list

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Harold R. Holmyard III" <hholmyard AT ont.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] etymology opinion question for the list
  • Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2005 16:34:44 -0500

Dear Gene,

I have an eytmology opinion question for the list
members. When one language is transliterated into
another language, or through three or four languages,
does the final word still retain the meaning of the
original word?

It depends what you mean by transliteration, but I have heard the term used of the English word "baptize." The English word is not really a translation ("dip, immerse") but just the transferral of sound and letters from the Greek alphabet into English equivalents. In this case the English word clearly has developed a slightly different and more limited range of meaning than the Greek word originally had.

Yours,
Harold Holmyard