b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] VERBS

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Dr. Joel M. Hoffman" <joel AT exc.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] VERBS
  • Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 10:09:50 -0400 (EDT)

>I agree with some of Peter`s application of the Relevance theory: language
>is rather fluid, and the great part of it is changeable. Words can be used
>[...]
>situation where words and melody come out of someone`s mouth. Nevertheless,
>I would still say the acts of the deaf woman are durative and dymanic (her
>actions occur over time and change), the characteristics we are speaking
>about.

Again, I think you're missing a fundamental aspect of language.

Regarding change, for example, I see nothing wrong with:

The plaque in the lobby sings the praises of the president.

This involves no singing, and no change. Or, less metaphorically:

He had no sense of pitch or musicality, but for one
infinitesimal second, Bill was singing.

In this case, Bill's singing is literal, but it does not occur over
time and does not change.

Ray Jackondoff in some of his earlier books goes to great lengths to
show how verbs can and do change in the ways you don't think possible.

I think this is a very important topic for understanding ancient
language in general, and the Hebrew in the Bible in particular.

-Joel