b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Verbs

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Rolf Furuli" <furuli AT online.no>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Verbs
  • Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2005 23:29:50 +0100

Dear Harold

What I have tried to show with my translation is that tense does not exist in classical Hebrew. There is no one-to-one relationship between tense and aspect in English or in other aspectual languages. Therefore, if tense is lacking in Hebrew, and even though aspect exists, on which basis do we make a tense discintion in the target language between QATAL, YIQTOL, and WAYYIQTOL?

I have never said there is no semantic difference between QATAL and YIQTOL. To the contrary, I argue there is such a difference. But this difference does not related to tense. So again, if tense is lacking in the SL, on which basis do we fix tense in the TL?

Best regards

Rolf Furuli
University of Oslo

----- Original Message ----- From: "Harold R. Holmyard III" <hholmyard AT ont.com>