b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Verbs

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Rolf Furuli" <furuli AT online.no>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Verbs
  • Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2005 07:26:21 +0100

Dear Bryan,

You ask good questions. I use 30 pages in chapter 2 of my dissertation to define the Hebrew conjugations and 52 pages in chapter 8 to account for the actual use of them in the Tanakh. So I have a problem when I shall give an answer that both is short and adequate. But I will give a few main points regading my conclusions.

1. There is a semantic difference between the imperfective aspect (YIQTOL, WEYIQTOL, WAYYIQTOL) on the one hand and the perfective aspect (QATAL and WEQATAL) on the other. But the aspects are not mutual exclusive; there are similarities between the aspects as well. The WE- and WAY- elements are there for syntactic (pragmatic) nd not for semantic reasons.

2. The aspects are viewpoints used to make a part of verbal action visible. Therefore lexical meaning, Aktionsart, procedural characteristics such as the singularity/plurality and definiteness/indefiniteness of the objects, adverbials etc., word order and other factors play a greater role in the commnication of meaning than the aspects.

3. In communication the requirement of precision is different in different contexts. In one context I need to tell that my car is a Volvo; in another it is enough to refer to it as a car, or even e wehicle or a thing. Under the word "car" a Volvo, a Ford. a Renault etc. can be subsumed. These cars are different, but this difference is not communicated in all contexts. The same is true with the aspects.

For example, a state is a situation that holds without ny input of energy; every part of a state is similar to any other part, or to the state as a whole. This means that if we use verbs to describe states, in most cases there are no details to make visible (an exception is the entrance into the state and the first part of the state, often expressed by QATALs, e.g. "J. started to reign"). This means that in static situations the semantic differences between the aspects do not matter, and both aspects can be used to describe states without any difference in the communicated meaning. The description of the borders of Israel (Joshua chapters 15 through 19) is a fine example. Exctly the same situations with the same time references are described by 85 WEQATALs, 16 WAYYIQTOLs, 3 YIQTOLs, and 3 QATALs. The only difference is a syntactic one, because the WE- of WEQATAL and the WAY- of WAYYIQTOL, being conjunctions, have particular syntactic functions. it is forfeited to insist there is a difference between the conjugations (aspects) in these situations.

In particular contexts the requirement for precision is high. Events that are conative, particular kinds of ingressive and resultative, and events where one action intersects another "while Abraham was sitting in his tent, Isaac arrived" can only be made visible by the use of the imperfective aspect (infinitives and participles can be used in the last mentioned situations). The imperfective aspect can make visible the beginning or the end (and the resulting state) of an event, but not both beginning and end. Situations where both beginning and end is made visible, therefore, must be described by the perfective aspect (this does not relate to whether an event was factually completed at reference time, e.g. narrative events expressed by WAYYIQTOLs need not be perfective).

Future contexts can in some respects resemble states, because they have not happened and the details are not known. We can see a difference between simple future and future perfect, but this cannot be done by the aspect alone but only by a combination of aspect and lexical meaning (both aspects can express future perfect). The vagueness of future events, as far as details are concerned, imply that both aspects can be used to describe future events because there simply are no details to make visible. However, there are lingusitc conventions regarding the description of such situations (covering the use of YIQTOL, WEQATAL, and WEYIQTOL).

I agree with you that word order in future and other situations is important, because WEQATAL and WAYYIQTOL are sentence initial forms and YIQTOL and QATAL are not. This means that theme/ rheme differences exist; an author wants a particular element before the verb for emphasis or in order to signal new information etc. This will influence the choice beteween YIQTOL/WAYYIQTOL and between QATAL/WEQATAL. Moreover, in some contexts where the requirement of precision is low, the author may use different conjugations and forms to express the totality or universality of something (e.g. the unsurpassed power of YHWH, 1 Samuel 2:6)

The points above imply that to always try to find a distinction between the conjugations and to convey this in translation is forfeited; sometimes there is no distinction, and the function of the conjugations` distinctive role have been exaggerated. On the other hand, there are important aspectual distinctions in many contexts which should be conveyed in translation. Particularly the imperfective characteristics of narrative sequences have been neglected. For the English reader, however, the choice of tense should have priority in translation. As for the text from Isaiah, I made an academic translation, and further work on the text would probably cause several adjustments, but that would hardly influence the future tense.

Best regards

Rolf Furuli
University of oslo

----- Original Message ----- From: "B. M. Rocine" <brocine AT twcny.rr.com>