b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] yhwh pronunciation

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • To: Yitzhak Sapir <yitzhaksapir AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] yhwh pronunciation
  • Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 12:05:28 +0100

On 26/07/2005 03:13, Yitzhak Sapir wrote:

... In any case, I have consistently argued for a
"qamats" under the y of yhwh, but you have downgraded it to a patah and then
apparently argued that it could have been a schwa that was mistaken by
Babylonians
for a patah. You have also seemed to compared "Jehu"' to names beginning with
schwa despite the fact that Jehu has a tsere - a long vowel generally
transliterated as
"ae" and schwa is very very short.

To be fair to Rolf, I think it was me, not him, who brought in the name Jehu. But I wonder if we can rule out all of the Jeho- names, with sheva in MT, as being reduced forms of an original with tsere, rather than with the qamats you prefer.

Also it was not Rolf who suggested patah under the yod, for this is Gesenius' explicit Hebrew spelling of his Yahwe. But I suppose that we cannot be sure whether the first vowel was patah or qamats - a distinction which is anyway anachronistic because it was made by the Masoretes for whom the Name probably had no pronunciation.

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)