b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] karu or ka'ari (Ps 22:16) ?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: MarjorieAlley AT cs.com
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.Ibiblio.org
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] karu or ka'ari (Ps 22:16) ?
  • Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2005 11:20:03 EDT

Steve Miller wrote: >>>So it appears that there are actually 2 witnesses to
Ps 22:16 in DSS: One without the middle Alef and one with, but both with a
final W instead of Y.<<<

Steve, I don't believe that's quite correct.

I took another look at both DJD volumes yesterday.

5/6HevPs is published in DJD 38. Even though the plate is very faint, the waw
is visible in Ps. 22:17. The transcription of the letters shows no dot or
circule over the letters, meaning editors regarded the reading as "certain"
rather than "probable" or "possible".

4QPs(f), published in DJD 16 is another story. The plate of fragment 1 shows
some ink marks which might represent the top of a kap and resh, but it is
impossible to say for sure from the plate. I looked with a magnifying glass,
and I
just can't see it well enough. The editors have marked their transcription
at this point with a circule over the letters, indicating these letters are
"possible". But note that they read only a possible kap and possible resh.
Fragment 1 breaks off just at the point where there would be a waw or yod ...
how
frustrating!

You are correct that they read no middle 'alef, just a possible kap followed
immediately by a possible resh. But note that they do NOT read a waw. The
fragment breaks off after the possible resh, and they supply the waw as a
conjectured restoration.

The editors note in the introduction that in making their tarnscriptions they
refer to the original mss, to the photos which are published as the official
plates, AND to older photos. They comment that in some instances the older
photos are helpful where edges of fragments have since suffered further
deterioration. I wonder if that is what happened in this instance?

Regards,
Marjorie Alley