b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] karu or ka'ari (Ps 22:16) ?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Schmuel <schmuel AT escape.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] karu or ka'ari (Ps 22:16) ?
  • Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2005 19:59:54 -0400

Hi b-hebrew,

>Walter R. Mattfeld wrote:
>> I have a question of scholars on this list versed in Hebrew, is the
>> following information correct or incorrect, or "in dispute" as to meaning
>> regarding the word karu or ka'ari ? (snip)
>> "On Psalm 22:16 "they pierced my hands and my feet" (King James Version)
>> (snip)

Dave Washburn
>I'd have to say it's "in dispute."

Schmuel
Agreed, and Dave makes good points. (Dave, you should be able to see the DSS
on the web,
url link/picture below, per the previous 2002 discussion) btw, I have seen
some defenders
of "like a lion" change the phrase to an exclamatory declaration, supposedly
to lesson the
grammatical objection.

I placed a lot of information in four posts a while back.
Much of it is historical rather than directly etymological.

Please note the email from Emanuel Tov discussing the Hebrew, including the
grammatical
aspects, also Tov discussed the DSS and the LXX reading.

Link to Tim Hegg article on DSS

Emanuel Tov email, including the Hebrew pause issue

Hebraic historical understanding

And a link to a grammar discussion
(disclaimer -- although the discussion is interesting, and perhaps even
accurate, the actual writer was James Trimm, who is not a Hebrew scholar)

Various arguments/links , for "pierced" and against

Also of interest is the Ruben Barrett discussion which should come back,
after revision, to
http://www.hadavar.net/Psalm22
And includes
http://www.hadavar.net/addendum.html
http://www.hadavar.net/Psalm22emails.html

Ruben is quite knowledgeable on this, so I look forward to his page returning.

btw, the actual question of Targum manuscripts is one that is especially
squirrelly, apparently they may fall on both sides, or they may be the one
early witness to "like a lion". As I remember, Ruben was one of the few
folks really trying to research this. While early evidence is quite
substantially
in favor of the verbal form, a Targum with "lion" might be an argument for
the reading being pre-Christian, even if the manuscript is post-100 AD.

Shalom,
Steven Avery