b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] karu or ka'ari (Ps 22:16) ?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] karu or ka'ari (Ps 22:16) ?
  • Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2005 02:09:03 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: "Peter Kirk" <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
> On the other hand, if the meaning "pierce" is established for Psalm
> 22:16, that leaves open an alternative interpretation of 40:7.
>
> -- Peter Kirk
> peter AT qaya.org (personal)
> peterkirk AT qaya.org (work)
> http://www.qaya.org/

Even without “pierce” being established for Psalm 22:16, there is still
reason for an alternative interpretation of 40:7.

The verb כרה / KRH is used to refer to furnishing, as in preparing or
providing, in verses such as Genesis 50:5 (the grave was in a natural
cave, there was no excavating to prepare it, cf. 50:13). Or again, in
Proverbs 16:27 what is furnished is displeasure. In Deuteronomy 2:6 water
was to be furnished by means of purchase.

Other than that what is often furnished or prepared is a pit or a fall trap,
I see no contextual evidence that the verb ever meant “to dig” or “to
pierce”. That the verb is used in contexts where it cannot mean to dig is
argument enough that we must look for an alternate interpretation
for it.

Sign-up for Ads Free at Mail.com
http://promo.mail.com/adsfreejump.htm