b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] karu or ka'ari (Ps 22:16) ?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Uri Hurwitz <uhurwitz AT yahoo.com>
  • To: Jim West <jwest AT highland.net>, Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>, b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] karu or ka'ari (Ps 22:16) ?
  • Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2005 10:18:30 -0700 (PDT)

Jim asked a reasonable question,about normalization of BH spelling and
mentioned the 'late' normalization of German . He could have come much closed
home, both in time and liunguistically, to the era of Hardy in England. Peter
may correct here, but it's my understanding that there still were spelling
variations in England in his time.

Back to BH -- there was discussion of the spelling of biblical quotes in
the Mishnah and Talmud on the list before. In general this is the spelling of
the MT text, without the vocalization of course. I say "genrally" because
slight differences existed and exist to this day.

Uri

Jim West <jwest AT highland.net> wrote:

Peter Kirk wrote:

> At the time of the DSS this would have been a normal spelling -

This raises a question that I have never heard satisfactorily answered-
to wit, when was spelling "normalized" in Hebrew texts? Or for that
matter, in Greek texts as well. I ask because I read a lot of stuff
from the Reformation and even as late as the mid 1500's German had no
"normalized" orthographical system. It stands to reason that if
orthography wasn't normalized when the printing press existed, it
wouldn't be before that time. So I ask- when was Hebrew spelling
"normailzed"? And bibliography would be helpful (so I can check up to
see if you are telling the truth). ;-)

Jim

--
Jim West