b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] karu or ka'ari (Ps 22:16) ?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Heard, Christopher" <Christopher.Heard AT pepperdine.edu>
  • To: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] karu or ka'ari (Ps 22:16) ?
  • Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2005 17:45:45 -0700

Walter,

Definitely "in dispute." The translation of that verse has long been a
debated issue in the interpretation of Psalm 22. The MT does read כארי ידי
ורגלי = ka'ari yaday veraglay, literally, "like a lion my hands and feet."
Since this phrase does not make good sense, there has been a longstanding
practice of emending כארי = ka'ari to the verbal form כרו = karu, understood
to be a 3rd person plural form of the verb כרה I = karah I, "to dig." (The
emendation is reasonable; it's not unusual to get an aleph where one doesn't
belong, and vav/yodh graphic confusion is common.) Then "to dig" is
translated/interpreted as "to pierce" (which it karah I doesn't mean in any
of its [other] attested appearances) and then you have "the Jesus
connection."

A very important contribution to this debate was made by J. J. M. Roberts,
"A New Root for an Old Crux, Ps. XXII 17c," Vetus Testamentum 23.2 (1973)
247-252. (Please remember that in many psalms, the traditional English
numbering is one verse off from the traditional Hebrew numbering, such that
the Hebrew verse numbers are often one step "higher" than the English
numbers. That is the case here; in Hebrew, the verse in question is numbered
as v. 17.) In brief, Roberts surveys the various possibilities, weighing
each one with his characteristic good sense. In the end, Roberts agrees with
the emendation to karu, but does not see it as an instance of karah I "to
dig." Rather, Roberts proposes that we should recognize here a previously
unrecognized root, karah V "to be short[ened], shrunken, shriveled" cognate
with Syriac and Akkadian karu, "to be short[ened]." In Akkadian, this root
is used in medical diagnostic texts to describe illnesses that disfigure the
hands and/or feet. Thus Roberts translates Psalm 22:17c "My hands and feet
are shriveled."

As far as the parallelism goes, the search for a parallel stich need not be
difficult if we remember that the original psalmist did not use "verses."
The next line is "I can count all my bones," which would go quite well as a
parallel stich to "my hands and my feet are shriveled." This fits very well
the sense of the psalm and follows the pattern of the imagery (verse numbers
are all Hebrew; subtract 1 for English):

vv. 13-14 threatening animals
vv. 15-16 physical distress
v. 17ab threatening animals
v. 17c-18a physical distress

Roberts' suggestion has been very influential since the publication of this
article, but the "in dispute" nature of this question can be seen by
surveying three major contemporary English translations:

NRSV: follows Roberts, emending ka'ari to karu V = "my hands and my feet
have shriveled"
NIV: emends ka'ari to (an otherwise unattested meaning of) karu I = "they
have pierced my hands and my feet"
JPS: follows the MT, supplying the "missing" verb = "like lions they maul my
hands and my feet"

Personally, I find Roberts' arguments quite convincing, though it can hardly
be regarded as a consensus. One of the contributors to the recent
festschrift for Roberts (David and Zion, ed. Bernard Batto and Kathryn
Roberts, Eisenbrauns)--sorry, I cannot remember the name just now--revisits
this issue and sharpens Roberts' original arguments.

Hope that's helpful.

Chris Heard