b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] karu or ka'ari (Ps 22:16) ?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Heard, Christopher" <Christopher.Heard AT pepperdine.edu>
  • To: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] karu or ka'ari (Ps 22:16) ?
  • Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2005 18:08:15 -0700

On Apr 24, 2005, at 3:45 PM, Dave Washburn wrote:
LXX reads "they pierced".

To be precise, the LXX of Psalm 21:17c (equivalent to EVV Psalm 22:16c) reads wruxan cheiras mou kai podas (using w for omega). Wruxan is an inflected form of orussw, which does not mean "to pierce," but rather, "to dig, dig out." In 33 attested examples outside of Psalm 22, orussw always means to dig in the ground: to dig a well (common in LXX Genesis), to dig a hole (as in Deut 23:13, a hole to contain excrement), to dig a grave (Tobit 2:7 and other places), to dig a pit as a trap (LXX Ps 56:7 = EVV 57:6, etc.). In one sole case it seems to mean "to inscribe" something on a stone (Zech 3:9). Outside of Psalm 21 (LXX, = MT, EVV Psalm 22), there is no biblically (or, as far as I know, nonbiblical) attested use of orussw to mean "to pierce," especially "to pierce" living flesh as opposed to inanimate matter. Neither is there any such attestation for Hebrew karah. It does appear that the LXX translators read karu in their Hebrew source text, and translated it literally according to karah I, "to dig." But just as "they dug my hands and my feet" makes no sense in English (well, it might, inside a 1970s discotheque), wruxan cheiras mou kai podas makes no (better) sense in Greek, nor does karu [I] yaday veraglay make sense in Hebrew. Both Greek orussw and Hebrew karah I (normally) take objects that name empty spaces--wells, pits, holes, graves--_not_ the matter from which those spaces were hollowed out. (Even Ezekiel 8:8 is no exception to this: in MT, the verb is chatar, not karah, and in LXX orussw is used but takes no object: MT va'echtor baqir, "I dug through the wall" vs. LXX kai wruxa, "and I dug," omitting "through the wall" from the LXX.)

See my other post about J.J.M. Roberts's suggested reading of this verse. It seems likely to me (following Roberts) that the LXX translators read karu as the verb in this verse, but translated it incorrectly because they misread it as an instance of karah I rather than the much rarer karah V.

Chris

--
R. Christopher Heard
Assistant Professor of Religion