b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] children bear punishment for sins of parents - Examples

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • To: George F Somsel <gfsomsel AT juno.com>
  • Cc: VadimCherny AT mail.ru, tladatsi AT charter.net, b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] children bear punishment for sins of parents - Examples
  • Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2005 00:22:46 +0100

On 23/04/2005 18:42, George F Somsel wrote:

Where do you find that in the text? It seems to me that silver and gold
are explictly ruled out of court.

If you think so, you must also think that the Gibeonites killing Saul's descendants was explicitly ruled out of court. But the Gibeonites' words are surely better understood as diplomatic talk meaning something like: "We have no right to tell you, the king, what should be done, but we suggest either silver and gold, or killing Saul's descendants".

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)