b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] children bear punishment for sins of parents - Examples

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • To: George F Somsel <gfsomsel AT juno.com>
  • Cc: VadimCherny AT mail.ru, tladatsi AT charter.net, b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] children bear punishment for sins of parents - Examples
  • Date: Sat, 23 Apr 2005 18:27:10 +0100

On 23/04/2005 18:25, George F Somsel wrote:

I tend to think that you're trying to sanitize the account from a modern
Christian perspective. It would appear from the return to the them of
famine/plenty in the resolution of the famine through the harvest this
puts God's imprimitur upon it.

No, I don't think so. God demanded that something was done about this sin. In the Hebrew Bible context, according to Leviticus, sins could be dealt with by sacrifice, but sometimes various different sacrifices could be made. David had a choice of what sacrifice to make. He chose in effect a human sacrifice, and that sacrifice was enough to atone for the sin. But the sin could have been atoned for in other ways - perhaps by silver and gold, perhaps by animal sacrifices as well.

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)