b-hebrew - Re: Re: [b-hebrew] children bear punishment for sins of parents - Examples

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: <tladatsi AT charter.net>
  • To: "Vadim Cherny" <VadimCherny AT mail.ru>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: Re: [b-hebrew] children bear punishment for sins of parents - Examples
  • Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2005 3:54:03 +0000

Vadim,

Again, I am not making a valuation of the principle of
punishing the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, or even 10th generation for
the crimes or sins of one man (or I suppose one woman for
that matter). I am not judging either the fairness or
efficacy of this principle. I merely stated that it was
expounded in theory and enforced in practice.

That being said, of the three case studies that this thread
identified, Joshua 7, 1 Sam 15, and 2 Sam 21, none involves
idolatry.

> From: "Vadim Cherny" <VadimCherny AT mail.ru>
> Date: 2005/04/21 Thu AM 05:11:52 GMT
> To: <tladatsi AT charter.net>
> CC: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
> Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] children bear punishment for sins
of parents - Examples

> Jack:
>
> You might want to read commentaries. The punishment you
mentioned refers
> only to idolatry, and Maimonides explains why four
generations: the most
> distant kin polluted by communication with idolater.
>
> Vadim Cherny

being
> > punished for the sins of the fathers. And I would
> > vehemently challenge anyone to show this.
> >
> > Here:
> >
> > Exd 34:7 I show this unfailing love to many thousands
by
> > forgiving every kind of sin and rebellion. Even so I do
not
> > leave sin unpunished, but I punish the children for the
> > sins of their parents to the third and fourth
generations."

> > Likewise Exd 20:5, Deu: 23:8, Num 14:18, Deu 5:9 - that
is
> > just the third and fourth generation. Deu 23:2-3 goes
into
> > the 10th generation.
> >

> > Jack Tladatsi

Jack Tladatsi