b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] "Shaf`el" in Hebrew?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Yitzhak Sapir <yitzhaksapir AT gmail.com>
  • To: Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] "Shaf`el" in Hebrew?
  • Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2005 05:29:22 +0200

Karl Randolph wrote:

> To risk driving a subject into the ground, I want to make a couple of
> comments:

As we have indeed been "driving the subject into the ground," I will
try to wrap up.
I still think the Shafel reading for this word is the most attractive
and plausible.
Your comments in this last post only serve to clarify for me how problematic
other readings are. I feel that you would gain much more if you
allowed yourself
the benefit of the commonly accepted high value of cognate languages such as
Ugaritic, Akkadian, and Aramaic, but if we don't even agree on the nature of
the
evidence which is available to elucidate the ancient Biblical Hebrew
vocabulary,
we naturally won't agree on the conclusions.

Yitzhak Sapir