b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] "Shaf`el" in Hebrew?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] "Shaf`el" in Hebrew?
  • Date: Tue, 08 Feb 2005 14:58:15 -0500

Yitzhak:

To risk driving a subject into the ground, I want to make a couple of
comments:

There are naturally forming vegetative forms of pitch, among them the pitch
that oozes from conifer trees. That pitch usually ranges from clear to a pale
yellow to a hint of tan. Pitch that is derived from burning wood has a lot of
carbon in it, hence it is black. Which form of pitch was used in ancient
Israel? How about what was available to Moses' mother in Egypt?

The phrase $$ZPTNY H$M$ does not obviously mean "the sun tanned me". From
Hebrew grammar (not Ugaritic, nor Akkadian, those were cognate, foreign
languages with different vocabularies and grammars than Hebrew) we have a $-
prefix, which functioned like a poetic contraction of )$R with the following
word, followed by a third person feminine singular verb with a first person
singular personal pronoun suffix from the verb $ZP. In looking at a
concordance, I noticed that sometimes $M$ was given a masculine, sometimes a
feminine, verb, making it the subject of this verb.

What is the meaning of $ZP? From its two uses in Job 20:9 and 28:7 it appears
to have the meaning "to see for a short time" as in a glance or glimpse. I
don't see what the problem is here in taking this as a playful, poetic way in
saying "the sun glanced at me" as saying that the person had been outdoors.
Such poetic use of language is not out of place in other languages and
cultures, so why is it not allowed in ancient, Biblical Hebrew?

(Years ago, a story made the rounds about how a Swede, visiting Trondheim,
Norway, asked a local cabbie to "Ta mig til en rolig plass" which in Swedish
(slang?) meant "Take me to where there's hot night life." However, the
Norwegian cabbie heard "Ta meg til en rolig plass" meaning "take me to a
quiet place" and so drove him to a cemetary. If languages so close that
people speaking one can understand 90+% of the other yet can have such
misunderstandings, how can we insist that languages so far apart that one
speaking one could not understand the other should serve as models for each
other?)

I noticed that you gave two other examples of possible shafel verbs below;
both are Aramaic, not Hebrew. making them irrelevant to the discussion.

In closing, my criticism was not of the ancient Hebrews as being "dull",
rather it is of modern scholars who often assume that the ancients were dull
pedants like themselves. I claim that it is the moderns who lack creativity
and playfulness with language so much so that they don't recognize when
others play with language, not the ancients.

Karl W. Randolph.