b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] David or Elhanan?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • To: Brian Roberts <formoria AT carolina.rr.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] David or Elhanan?
  • Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2005 15:22:29 +0000

On 25/01/2005 15:03, Brian Roberts wrote:

Has anyone seriously given attention to the possibility that David and El-hanan (both variously said to have slain Goliath) could be one and the same person? I've read online looking for papers, but I find nothing more probing than the assertion in the Encyclopedia Judaica that Elhanan was David's original name. ...

David Rohl believes Elhanan to be the real name or original of David. He explains that "the name David (Hebrew Dud/Dwd) is actually a Hurrian title or coronation name ('beloved [of deity N]')... It was then later Hebraised as Dadua and, later, Dud/Dwd ('beloved [of Yah]'). Solomon too carried this title or coronation name in its fuller form - JEDIDIAH." ("From Eden to Exile", p.287) (Rohl takes the form Dadua from the Amarna letters, which he understands as in part describing the times of Saul and David. I am not suggesting discussion of this theory here.)

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)