b-hebrew - RE: [b-hebrew] Neh. 4:17

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Lisbeth S. Fried" <lizfried AT umich.edu>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [b-hebrew] Neh. 4:17
  • Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2005 10:02:38 -0500

Dear Karl,
Interesting theory, but people didn't bathe or
shower
in them thar days. They anointed themselves with
oil.
Maybe they bathed once before their wedding day,
and
menstruating women (which were rare) once a month.
This verse refers to a man sending out his water.
There's only one way a man does that, that I know
of.
Liz

Lisbeth S. Fried, Ph.D.
Frankel Center for Judaic Studies and the
Department of Near Eastern Studies
University of Michigan
2068 Frieze Bldg
105 S. State St.