b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] David or Elhanan?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Brian Roberts <formoria AT carolina.rr.com>
  • To: "Lisbeth S. Fried" <lizfried AT umich.edu>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] David or Elhanan?
  • Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2005 10:03:42 -0500

Has anyone seriously given attention to the possibility that David and El-hanan (both variously said to have slain Goliath) could be one and the same person? I've read online looking for papers, but I find nothing more probing than the assertion in the Encyclopedia Judaica that Elhanan was David's original name. This would seem to be a natural avenue to explore, given the ancient Hebrews' penchant for evolving names over time. In a cursory look, it could be argued that II Sam. 11:19 represents the first recording of Elhanan, while I Chron. 20:5 is a later writer's attempt to understand the two stories and avoid confusion. Was "David" a title (champion) used elsewhere for others?) Is ja'are an error for ja'ir and are both errors for Jesse?

yr[y ry[y r[y r[yy'y

Best SAlaams,

Brian Roberts