b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] David or Elhanan?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Jonathan D. Safren" <yonsaf AT 012.net.il>
  • To: Brian Roberts <formoria AT carolina.rr.com>, Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] David or Elhanan?
  • Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2005 19:09:31 +0200

I hope no one on the list is returning to the old and discredited idea that the Hebrew PN David is related to an assumed (and incorrect) Mari Akkadian da-wi-dum, a misreading of da-ab-dum, as in the expression dabdam idak.
Jonathan D. Safren, Editor
Mo'ed - Annual for Jewish Studies
Center for Jewish Culture
Beit Berl College